Sign up for Savage Arts & Cultural Center Classes!
Savage Arts Council is pleased to have a place to call home in the same building that houses the Savage Public Library Building. The Savage Arts Council will offers cultural art events, and visual and literary art classes to students of all ages and abilities. Classes typically meet for 3-4 sessions are about about $10 per instruction hour.
Weekly Class Schedule
(A full description of each class is listed below.)
2:00 to 7:00
FREE to members
Instr: Lucy LeMay
10:00a to 12:00p
Instructor: Lucy LeMay (lucyLeMay@gmail.com)
The class meets 4 Saturdays: Nov. 7, 14, 21, and Dec. 5 (no class Nov. 28) from 10:00 to noon.
After painting for 30 years and doing watercolor for 10 years, Lucy Le May, retired high school art teacher and owner operator of Le May Studio, has some tricks to share. This course is a four session event, no make ups. Because of the pace and amount of material covered this is not recommended for children under 16 years of age. Handouts provided. We will cover:
- Floating color and controlling that darn back bleed.
- Color theory for a good painting every time.
- Painting skies: hake brush 2”
- Nature under your feet: fan brush
- Good design means a good painting: focal points, rule of thirds.
- How to make water or reflecting surfaces: hake brush
- To salt or not to salt
- Paintings that paint themselves
- Staining vs. non-staining colors, paper differences and what that means to you.
Other topics will be covered as time allows based on the needs of students who have a technique they need for a problem painting. Noteworthy: these are not sessions to complete a finished project but practice for beginner watercolorists.
There are two price options:
- Supplies will be provided for you for use during the class time. ($80 class + $20 material fee).
- Supplies will be provided by you. ($80 class fee).
Supply list includes:
- paper towels or tissues
- 2 water containers (cottage cheese or butter tub size)
- small flat kitchen sponge
- water atomizer (spray bottle)
- raw sienna or yellow cad, medium
- alizarin crimson
- ultra-marine blue
- payne's gray or neutral tint
- cerulean blue
- burnt sienna
- the brushes you will need for class
- a large round #22-26 with a good point
- small round #8-10 with a good point
- flat 1 ½" brush
- flat #6 or #8
- liner or script brush (also called aa rigger)
- table covering for your work area
- Arches cold press watercolor paper
Contact us to learn more about our classes.